09 September 2006

Massive Contrast

Welcome to the weekend in Ghana, where sleeping in until 9:30, is officially amazing! I know most of you (including in particular those of you who know about my various alarm clock adventures) probably find this surprising, but I actually do wake up naturally at a reasonable time. It's something about the sun coming up at 6am everyday I guess. For a rather amusing visual you may wish to imagine me attempting to untangle myself from my mosquito net in order to answer my phone which is across the room... I am shocked I haven't totally killed myself yet.

So, on to the subject of this post. Last night we went out for sushi, yes you read correctly. It was actually pretty good, and in this place I can only describe as "shee-shee" which my McGill friends will understand. It was almost disconcerting though, to see that many internationals, and literally the odd Ghanaian... I guess what I discovered last night, was that you could come to Accra and never interact with any locals, how awful eh?

In contrast to that, a few of us decided to hit the market this morning. I think the runner's article whom I posted awhile back described it. It is beyond massive. I thought Hali's market was amazing, but you can literally buy ANYTHING you need there. I personally bought a pair of flip flops for 1 dollar. Definitely overpriced, the lady couldn't stop grinning at us... but hey, I think the whole money adjustment thing may take awhile. There were so many people in the streets it was a massive contrast to Osu (my neighbourhood), which until a few hours ago, I thought was jam packed. Clearly I was mistaken. Anyway, we were the ONLY foreigners, which was rather refreshing, and aside from random men grabbing our hands (still extremely annoying), it was a great time. I think you probably have to go there with a mission though, not to idly wander...

Tomorrow I am meeting some of the Baha'is here, there is a Baha'i Center not too far from where I live which is great. More on this later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home