02 February 2007

"Your reaction sounds like you saw Justin Timberlake or something" - M. Asdaghi

It's been ages since I've updated this thing, but at least I now have some decent things to report instead of the usual rambling on about the heat, power cuts and the like.

Last weekend was definitely one for the records. It started out innocently enough, we decided to get some work done/check email and job search at Labadi Beach Hotel. The atmosphere is decent, you can bring your laptop and it is relatively quiet... I should probably preface this by saying that earlier that week I was severely disappointed because I had wanted to attend the Inaugural Jubilee Lecture (part of Ghana's festivities to kick of the celebration of 50 years of independence) but was unable to get a ticket despite calling on any possible connections (this will all make a bit more sense in a paragraph or so - I just don't want to give away the exciting part of the story).

So, back to Labadi. We were sitting by the back door which leads outside to the pool and outdoor restaurant, totally minding our own business. Every so often I'd examine who was loitering around the lobby wondering who they were associated with, an airline, the UN, etc. etc. At one point I noticed a very elegant woman wearing a flowing psuedo-African style dress, but didn't really think much of it. Probably about 2 minutes later, Lindsay says: "Laura, laura, LAURA!" So I look up to see what all the fuss is about, and look DIRECTLY at none other than Kofi Annan (pronounced like canon - small piece of random info...) who is walking past us, along with the elegant lady in purple, who is obviously his wife. Those of you who know me well, you can imagine my reaction - this was BETTER than Justin Timberlake! I actually slapped my hand over my mouth in all the excitement and actually scratched my own face (I realized this later). I think we mulled over what to do for about 5 minutes, while attempting to take a picture on a cell phone - as he had sat down in the outdoor restaurant, facing away from everyone. The funny thing was there was literally no one else in the restaurant. This, despite the fact that about 20 people came over to where we were sitting to try and catch a glimpse after he walked through the lobby. [Oh, obviously he was the speaker at the lecture...] Finally at about 10 minutes, we had the genius idea to go and casually (haha) have a drink in the restaurant. We were, I kid you not, 5 feet away from Kofi Annan! While we were deliberating about asking his security guard (only one) if we could say hello, his wife rejoined him, so we decided it would be rude to interupt their conversation. I think pretty much everyone freaked out when they heard we didn't say hi, but honestly, in the moment, it really seemed rude to interupt them, and I can only imagine that they never get left alone... I think if she hadn't come back, we would have definitely asked to say hi. Next time. :)

I have another interesting update about a trip I took to the Liberian Refuge Camp about an hour outside of Accra, but I'll hold off until Monday when I can post some pictures.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home