26 October 2006

Not so black and white

Black.

White.

I am not generally one for describing someone's 'colour.' It is a pretty useless point of reference, and becoming quite un-PC in certain parts of the world.

A few weeks back however, I discovered something interesting about the use of these terms in Ghana, and maybe Africa more general (SSA anyway).

I was in a taxi and the driver and I were chatting away happily when he mentioned that I was 'white.' You can imagine that I was quite taken aback, as I feel quite far from 'white,' especially as of late, as I am slowly catching up to Shanika [any day now...]. I laughed and corrected him, saying I was certainly not white! He insisted though, that I was in fact white, also laughing at me.

After this exchange I gave it a bit of thought. How interesting that "white" in this context doesn't refer to skin colour, as it would in North America... instead it simply means foreigner.

I have since tried to explain this, that "white" encompasses all foreigners, and that "Obruni" seems to have the same general meaning... but many people (foreigners I mean) seem to not quite believe me. How could "white" possibly mean anything but "white skin?" I find this exceedingly odd, as it's a pretty terrible and inaccurate way to describe people anyway... white = foreigner seems far more inclusive and appropriate!

3 Comments:

Blogger justdando said...

Very interesting observation.. just imagine if you were actually white... that makes me practically transparent in India- anywho Dave wants me to say something about a NOFX song "don't call me white" which he has promised to sing to you later... careful about taking him up on his offer.
Love ya... Andi (oh and Dave I guess)

1:39 PM  
Blogger Stu said...

Hmm, over here my name is "hey mister" or "bule." Bule means foreigner. I think I'm actually going to make a shirt. Bule on the front, hey mister on the back.

Think about doing the same, don't take that stuff to seriously or you will go crazy.

7:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey, OBRUNI!!!!!!!

(trish)

11:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home