13 November 2006

Namaste

This weekend was quite eventful as far as weekends in Accra go...

We finally made it to the Arts Center, which is THE place to buy ANY kinds of crafts, art, material, carvings, jewelry, and the list goes on...

For some reason I seem to be obsessed with art. There are so many fantastic paintings, I kind of can't help myself. So far I have resisted buying a drum though... although the thought has crossed my mind a few times. So, the market. It was absolutely hilarous. It is quite a bit more touristy than any other market we've seen, which would probably explain some of the hilarity... Now I am quite used to people yelling "India" at me... for obvious reasons, but this experience was far more entertaining! In addition to random shouts of "India," I heard (as you might have gathered from the title of this post) "Namaste!" I think I probably would have burst out laughing, if I hadn't been in semi disbelief... Absolutely hilarious. This was topped off by another random and frequent comment I received regarding my nose. Right, my nose... Oddly enough I had a bit of a complex about my nose in my younger years... here however, it seems to be very well liked! I kind of shrugged it off when the first lady told me she liked my nose. I mean yes, odd, but whatever, she could have said she hated it... But then the next person asked if I had had surgery to make it look this way! You can imagine my surprise! I think in total I had about 5 separate people comment on my nose. And that is not including the guy Trish ASKED if he liked my nose. It was rather random, but kept me entertained enough to forget about the fact that I was literally dripping with sweat as it was insanely hot in the market. Don't lie, I know you needed that visual.

That day we also hit my absolute favorite restaurant in Accra, Sunshine Cafe. I recently discovered how to get them to make me an Americano, my barrista friends would be proud! Anyway, it's got real coffee, amazing cake and a huge menu with loads of veggie friendly options... kind of amazing really!

Sunday was quite productive. We spent the morning at Golden Tulip (Hotel - there is a pool, and you can read in the lounge), I read for a couple of hours straight which was amazing, and long overdue...

On a more exciting note though, we moved! Lindsay and I found a two bedroom apartment in our friend LindsEy's apartment building, and after a few very stressful days of back and forth with the landlord who is in Malta, things finally came together on Friday, and we moved in last night!

I will post more pictures soon, I promise!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home