15 November 2006

Mid-week update

I think I have officially decided that Nescafe instant coffee must have a very small fraction of the caffeine than in an Americano. I have an entire thermos of it sitting in front of me, and it is honestly not cutting it AT all.

I’m somewhat comforted though, as tomorrow the countdown begins:

14 days until real coffee.

And family. Obviously not in that order…

Our new apartment is working out very nicely, and once a few more things are added, such as a second bed, and stove, we’ll be set. This evening we’re having quasi-housewarming/hair dying party. There will be pizza. I’m excited.

Current challenges in our new place include: trying to strike a balance with the AC at night. Funny how a fan keeps the room at the perfect temperature for sleeping… but I think after a few mishaps (freezing and then boiling the last two nights) I’ve finally figured out how to maintain a reasonable temperature. The first night it was so cold I needed a duvet… unfortunately Lindsay’s suggestion of using a towel seemed hardly adequate, ahaha…

My hair is back in corn rows after attempting to put up with it for a good two weeks. Clearly I have forgotten what an insane task it was to take out, AND how much hair I lost last time… but for now, I’m much happier! I kind of like that from the back I can fool people…

Last night a few of us went to this Tuesday evening event called “Friskies.” This couple (and their son) host a movie night each week. They have an amazing venue which consists of a huge screen and covered space outdoors, with loads of couches and other comfy seats. It was quite lovely actually, and we watched “Water,” a Deepa Metha film. It is amazing if you haven’t already seen it… I’d highly recommend it. The only problem was that we were all pretty exhausted. I think trying to fit everything in, everyday, is taking a bit of a toll. I think it was accentuated this week as a result of the current challenge at our gym: 5K in 25 minutes… attempting this is enough to seriously kick your ass, especially after a long day at work. Anyway, not complaining, just really beginning to recognize that I need to take it easy this weekend!

This weekend Shanika, Trish and I are heading up to Akosombo. It is about three hours northeast of Accra, and hopefully will prove to be very relaxing (after the three hour tro ride of course…). A few of the other girls went a couple weeks back and said it was quite beautiful, so you can expect a whole slew of pictures… eventually.

After a three month hiatus (August pretty much consisted of eating twizzlers and Subway far too often, I blame the thesis), I’m finally cooking again! I must say, it is much more exciting to cook when you are not the only person eating! Although I have a long way to go to fill my father (and mother’s) shoes… I feel like it IS in my genes, and well, just plain fun really!

Anyway, hope it isn’t too cold in the rest of the world… although November in Edmonton? Yikes… if there isn’t snow, it’ll be a first.

Good luck to all you uni kids writing papers and midterms…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home