12 September 2006

"What we really need is a long stick"

We had heard about them before we left Canada, but we finally met our first FLAT spider this evening. Of course, both Lindsay and I are completely petrified of spiders (cochroaches, etc. ), so we spent probably a good 20 minutes scrutinizing it's position (near the ceiling by the bathroom), trying to get a good angle to spray it (with this serious flea spray, to be adminstered by professionals only), and randomly screaming and running for the door. So, after a valiant attempt to knock it out of the sky with a flip flop (the ones that cost a dollar), by Lindsay... I was coaching, obviously, it fell onto a chair. We freaked out about it for another 10 minutes or so, which made us miss getting milk and more dried fruit, because the store closed, and finally employed the help of a passerby. He thought it was hilarious, and after smacking it (it was still alive), he picked it up by one of it's legs... this was less than amusing. Anyway I will add a visual tomorrow, just so you get the idea of what exactly we were facing... sadly I think I am no more brave now, and will definitely have a heart attack if I find one in my room.

In other news, I attended the WAPI (West African Peacebuilding Insitute)'s sessions today. This week's topics are: Youth and Peace Education. Right up my alley. It is amazing to bridge the gap though, and learn about what actually happens on the ground at the grassroots. So many of us write about this things in our academic lives, but coming into contact with the real experiences of individuals adds an invaluable dimension. I had a lot of fun today in my session with various group activities... everyone is incredibly nice to me, and I have been quite taken by how welcoming people are generally speaking.

Tomorrow I meet with my supervisor to discuss what I will be up to in the next six months... and then I will likely join the conference for the rest of the week.

The gym is proving to be the greatest thing ever... perfect way to unwind after work, and build up a crazy good appetite for dinner. Speaking of which, we went to an Indian restaurant last night that was amazing! Tucked into a side street, it was a wicked find. I think along with quiz night (Thursdays at Champ's, it will be a weekly event).

Oh, I forgot to mention, I did find the Baha'i Center. Hooray for that. My taxi driver was super helpful and told me what exactly to say next time I go... there is a great Center here in Accra, loads of space and very accessible. Though I am told many youth attend University of Ghana in Legon which I think is a bit of a ways away. Anyway I did meet a few people and will visit it quite frequently!

It's kind of late here now, so I'll sign off there... counting down the days until the weekend, when we take a trip to Cape Coast (Freelancers, are you jealous??)!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hahaha I love that you already have a spider story. That's classic. I don't even want to think about what that looks like...a flat spider? I thought they looked creepy enough out here in Ottawa...I'm sure they're even scarier in Ghana from your lovely little description. Yikes.

1:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Laura... you are a baby.

Andi

7:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

tip from another arachinaphobe...get a swiffer if there is such a thing available over there (it seems like you are able to get everything else!) I'm telling you it's the BEST for killing beasties from afar...long stick for distance, flat top for maximum impact and to prevent it from falling on you after you have maimed it!!

8:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Laura, I am LOVING your stories already. It's good to hear you are managing to have so much fun and also so many strange and fascinating and scary experiences. You are making me want to return to West Africa sooner than later! Hope to hear from you again soon.

Love,
Ariel

2:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home